This afternoon I finally got around to making some exposure tests for using paper negatives with my Yashica C TLR. Using my ancient Spiratone exposure meter, along with the ancient Yashica, and fairly old Arista Edu enlarging paper in some old chemistry I came up with a fairly decent exposure. Long inspired be the superbly breath taking portrait photography Django does in Berlin, using view cameras and paper negative I simply had to try. I have been using paper negatives for a long time now, but almost exclusively with my pinhole cameras. Years ago I made a paper negative exposure using a truly ancient Voigtlander Compur and watercolor paper coated with liquid light. It came out very nicely. This was in the pre-digital age and of course the only way to make a positive was to make a contact print. Who knows, had I stuck with that I might have a really significant body of work by now! :)
Anyhow, this afternoon I found out that the speed of the enlarging paper was a lot more than I expected. After getting half a dozen or so totally black negatives, I finally arrived at an exposure of 1/50th of a second at f8 for the above image, which seems promising. As with my pinhole negatives I end up with a lot of ‘trash’ in the highlights. I took some of them out in PS, but am not sue where it comes from. the whole thing is very encouraging because I think that lens/shutter setting is plenty good to do some portraits, now I only have to rustle up some subject.
Well Django – a million thanks for your encouragement!