I finally got the chance to finish my ‘do over’ of the Japanese Stab Binding book, I had messed up the first time, by binding one page in backwards. This time I miraculously avoided that problem, and so far have not found a mistake – keeping my fingers crossed.
As with the first book, I had a bit of trouble threading the waxed linen thread. For my taste the eyes of these needles are just a bit too small. I think they are probably designed for binding book signatures with a thinner thread. I sure don’t know what they mean by ‘blunted’ point on the package. To me the point seems as sharp as that of any sewing needle, but I am no expert. Anyhow, I think some sail makers needles would work better. I used to have some, but probably lost them a long time ago. To make threading the thread through the book pages easier, I drilled the holes a bit bigger, last time I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the needle through on the second pass. I do think that using an electric drill is the way to go unless the book consists of just a few pages, half a dozen or so. This time I also used 8×10 inch inter-leaven pages which thus are smaller than the 8.5×11 inch pages on which the photos are printed. I think it makes for easier handling when turning the pages. Of course, things are not perfect , it is a handmade book by a pretty clumsy guy after all. So, the stitches are not exactly even, and there are other imperfections, that